Saturday 9 February 2008

One day voice workshop with Noah Pikes

Richard our director has decided we need some help with our vocal work, so this term includes a one-day workshop with voice teacher Noah Pikes, founding member of Roy Hart Theatre.

We spend the day working on selected exercises from Noah's workshop The Whole Voice, chosen for their relevance to the scenes we've developed in the previous term and the past few weeks. I find I'm regularly tempted to locate my voice in my chest to increase the power, but Noah tries to encourage me to find something lower, in the stomach. By the end of the day, I'm starting to understand, but I doubt I'll be using that voice at any upcoming conference appearances.

I spend the following week repeating Noah's "uuuuuu-ooooooo-iiiiiiiii-eeeeeee-aaaaaaa" exercise, causing my eleven month old daughter great delight, before succumbing to laryngitis five days later.

I hope it's just coincidence.

No comments: