Thursday 24 July 2008

Oedipus Rex: Night 2 (Thursday)

I feel different driving to the performance tonight, but it's a while before I realise why. I think I'm starting to enjoy it. After the year putting this together and the weekend dusting it off and rehearsing, I know my lines and I know the performance. I feel confident.

Tonight we've sold thirty tickets - with walk-ups, another near sell-out. And instead of having to drag people along, the advance publicity in the local press seems to be bringing in more people we don't know, who want to see the performance of their own volition. We can't even say it's because we're doing Shakespeare this time.

The level of interest increases our desire to perform well and we come close to matching the level of the opening night. There are very few slips or missed lines and our movement as a group is again good. Somewhere we add another five minutes, as I notice I am heading for the door around 9:20pm, but the story doesn't seem to be suffering.

Remarkably, we're already halfway - only two nights left.

1 comment:

steve adams said...

hi richard
its going very well innit!!!
and it can only get better and better
i noticed this during metamorphoses
a lot of lovely people i have never
met before,
turning up loving what we are doing
its well cool,
good luck for tonight
and see you all tomorrow
love and peace
steve