Tuesday 10 July 2007

Poke Paul II - Oedipus Rex: Night 3 (Tuesday)

Another good performance, despite some lateness in the cast which affected our warm-up. My concentration was wandering ("and my thought went missing") slightly during the first scene where I have most of my lines. I managed to bring it back without relying too much on Katrina's prompting (which is part of the performance). Just as well - she later confessed she was giving me completely the wrong lines.

Ian arrived with his voice thankfully recovering, but Paul reported having been poked in the other eye last night. This prompted some safety advice from Mr. Spaul.

Each night, people stay afterwards to tell us how how much they enjoyed the performance. It's always good to hear this from in situ: members from other projects. They know how much work is involved and make useful observations on particular aspects of the performance.

Even more gratifying are the comments from those who come along not knowing quite what to expect. Every night I've spoken to people who are genuinely surprised how good the production is, how powerful the performances are, what an atmospheric venue we've chosen. How can we turn these people into supporters and advocates for in situ:?

The only witnesses to our final scene this evening were a woman, her cocker spaniel and a cloud of midges. The woman and her dog paused for half a minute, read the information signs outside The Leper Chapel and moved on.

Will they return?

(The woman, I mean. The dog I am less interested in and I will no doubt be reacquainting myself with the midges at the same time tomorrow.)

No comments: